Monday, January 24, 2011

Waterfalls and keys

After lying/sitting around for it-seems-like days, a chance to go to see a waterfall was supremely inspiring.  It also included spending some time in the car, but I had great friends who I knew would be entertaining, and I would willingly drive, (they also pitched in for the $3.05/gal. gas, thank-you-very-much).



Photo by Ramya


After a little over an hour drive, we arrived at Hooker Falls parking lot, which was mainly mud.  The sun peaked from clouds scudding across the sky.  Trees were mostly grey, with occasional green, and a blanket of about grey-green10 foot high Rhododendron were interspersed throughout the woods, which were thick.  There was an icy looking entrance to the wide and gentle trail that goes to the waterfall.

We actually considered whether or not to wear our heavy coats, and all decided yes, though we'd probably leave them open in the 40 degree air as we walked.  Later we were really glad to have them on.  I took my walking stick out of the trunk, and offered everyone a place to leave their valuables there.  I put my camera in my pocket, put on my coat, and locked my purse in the trunk.

Then I looked in my pockets for the keys.  Oh oh.


Photo by Ramya


They weren't there, either in pockets or my hands.  Where had they gone?  I must have put them in my purse inadvertently.

Golly, everyone started looking at the car, which we'd locked up so nice and tight.  Other hikers glanced at us, who were either coming or going.  One nice family on their way home offered to have their neighbors call us, who were locksmiths.  I called several friends leaving SOS type messages, and one said he'd look up all the locksmiths in the area and call me back with their phone numbers.



Photo by Ramya


Then Linda remembered she was a AAA member, and could use her account for roadside service when riding in someone else's car.  So we used my cell phone and called them, and eventually the AAA man came.  He spent a half hour wrestling with the tools that come in a big red briefcase (he was a wrecker, not a locksmith) and he was finally able to get the trunk popped, though the car doors were still locked.  No problem, cause now we'd have access to the keys.

No keys were in the purse, or on the floor of trunk.  Where were they after all?



Photo by Ramya

In my back pocket, way down at the bottom, which I'd not put my fingers down far enough to find in my several other attempts.  This time I did the fanny-feel thing, and there they were.

My friends will never let me live this down, and I have various appellations added to my name now.  We did have some hearty laughs at my expense, and I am so sorry to have messed up the trip and walk to the falls.  Linda said she enjoyed the fresh air and sitting on a rock in the sunshine in the muddy parking lot waiting for AAA the whole time.



Photo by Ramya


Ramya walked down to the top of the falls, and took pictures which I've posted here.  I walked as far as the bridal path crossing the trail and the river, then returned to be with Linda, waiting for a phone call perhaps if the AAA guy couldn't find us.  After all we were in DuPont State Forest, which is out in the woods.  He found us without problem.  He got paid through AAA, and we all had a laugh or two at my back pockets.



Photo by Ramya

I have learned a lot about humility, being able to laugh at myself rather than beat myself up, when I make mistakes.  Everyone can and does this kind of thing.  This time it was my turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making this a more personal connection by saying what you think. I'll post your comments for others to see soon!