Monday, August 29, 2011

Roughing It

Yesterday was a full day in a housefull of children without electricity.

My son and his wife have three beautiful girls who are addicted to electronic media...and there was lots of expectation for entertainment.  But the screens were all blank!

We sat around, talked, read (I did anyway by sitting close to a window that had good light) worked puzzles, and played at least one game of backgammon.  But it was a challenge.

Fortunately there were only a few hours like this, then we were able to get outside and walk around the neighborhood.  The storm had obviously passed over.  We had other neighbors out cleaning up downed limbs, but not many really big ones. 

By dinner time (eating cold snacks for lunch had been like a picnic) we were really wanting something cooked, but had no resources to do so.  So after a few calls (ah, cells phones were so precious by then) we found a Dunkin Donuts was open just a few miles away.  We all piled in the car and went to see what flooding in the community was like.  Roads were all open, and the Farmington River gushed right under the bridge we went across...a surface that was dry, but looked as if a few inches might have made the difference.

We watched to see where people had electricity.  Ah, many didn't, and some had generators.  Fortunately only one of the signal lights we passed was not working, so the towns seemed pretty orderly.  But no food establishments were open.  However, a couple of towns away and we were provided with bagel sandwiches (toasted) and hot coffee.  Our needs were met!

I have to get on the road today, so now it's time to sign off.  I'll be returning home soon.  I've missed my friends, and kitty, but have been immersed in the warmth of my son's loving family.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your family made it thru the storm safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your positive wishes, Amika. I drove over 400 miles through some areas where elec. still wasn't working. I found it was on mainly in the bigger cities, but not out in rural areas still. The radio from around New York said most cities would be all repaired by Fri, but rural areas might not be connected again until a week from today. I really feel for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know all is well with you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Vicki. I'm not back to my lovely mountains yet. Did you all get any rain from the storm at all?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making this a more personal connection by saying what you think. I'll post your comments for others to see soon!